Skip to main content

I am on informal probation for DUI for 3 yrs. I am a US citizen planning to marry a girl who is on workpermit. Can I sponsor her

Alhambra, CA |

I would like to sponsor for her green card once we get married and I am on informal Probation till March 2015. No other issues. Are there any difficulties I am going to face.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The fact that you are on probation will not affect your wife's eligibility to immigrate to the U.S. if she is otherwise eligible.


As a U.S. citizen, your criminal record won't take away the ability to file a visa petition for a fiancee or wife. But whether and how you are able to file a petition for her will depend on her immigration situation (which is more complicated then having or not having a work permit).

Hope that helps.


I agree that there should be no problem because of the fact that you are on DUI probation. After 18 months of successful probation, you may be able to petition the court to terminate your probation early. Contact a local attorney to handle that for you.

Never discuss confidential information on a public website. Always speak with an attorney in a confidential setting.

The above response is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes and is not a legal consultation. You must talk with an attorney of your choice before making any decision about your actual legal rights.


While there are some criminal issues that affect petitioner's ability to sponsor a spouse for a green card, the DUI is not one of them.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Please visit our website at For questions or to schedule a consultation, please call 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


The only crimes that impact a US citizen's ability to petition a relative for immigration benefits are sex crimes.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer