Skip to main content

I am on H4 visa status right now and one professor is willing to hire me on exempt H1B visa for university. Is it possible?

Columbia, MD |

I am on H4 visa status right now and one professor is willing to hire me on exempt H1B visa for university. Is it possible to apply for that? Professor is not aware of status and because of my voluntary work, he is very excited. I do not have SSN. How can I make it working? WHat do I need from University to apply for cap exempt H1B?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yes, it is possible.

You need to talk to the International Student and Scholar's office ... or whatever the office is called ... they probably have the capacity to process the paper, or will give you the name of the lawyer that they work with.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Yes It is possible.The University has to apply for you. Contact the university.


If the position qualifies as an H-1B position and the university is willing to petition you then, yes it is possible.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer