Skip to main content

I am on 2-years temporary Resident's card after my marriage, SO, When should i file for my Permanent Resident's Card?

Dallas, TX |

What is the exact waiting time?
Do i have to count from my marriage date? OR the issued date on the first 2-years temporary card?
I'm not sure on what to do, please advise me!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


All this research can be done on This information is very available. If you are not sure what to do, the best way to approach this predicament would be hiring an immigration attorney to do it right and at the first instance.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You need to file form I-751 and attachments, in the 90-day period before your green card expires.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You'll need to file From 1-751 and the documentary proof that will need to be attached to it anytime 1 year and 9 months from the validity date on your green card, but BEFORE its expiration date.

Hopefully you will be filing it together with yourUSC spouse through whom you got your temporary green card.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You have a 90-day window prior to you two-year green card anniversary.


You must file Form I-751 within the 90-day period BEFORE the green card expires.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer