Skip to main content

I am moving by the end of this month. How do I inform the state court and all the other parties?

San Jose, CA |

Is there a form to fill up to inform the court or the other parties regarding my new address?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can do a pleading form Notice of Change of Address. Serve it on the other parties and file it with the court. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


You can file a notice of change of address with the court and serve a copy on all other parties or their attorneys if they are represented listing your new address and any change in phone number.


My colleagues are correct. You prepare and file a Notice of Change of Address. There is no form for this. You need to prepare it on pleading paper. It needs to merely say that the parties and the court should take notice that your address has changed and then list your new contact information.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


Here is the form you need, Judicial Council Form MC-040:

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.