Skip to main content

I am low income (dss) i want a divorce from my husband he lives in washington state i live in new york were do i start?

Rochester, NY |

we got married in 2000 in lakewood wa and i havent been with him since 2003 i have lived here in rochester ny since 2006 i have contacted him on fb but it a fight even trying to get anything out of him. i dont know what to do or where to start

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Start by having a consultation with a divorce attorney. You meet the residency requirements for a divorce in NY so you can file here. You can also get a divorce packet from the supreme court in your county that will give you instructions on what to do. You will have to have your husband served with the papers.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.


You can can find a lot of information on the Courts' website:

Check the links out. Your local Supreme Court may also have a Pro Se office or help desk. You can also inquire with your local Bar Association about a low fee or pro bono divorce panel. Good luck.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.


File for an uncontested divorce in NYS. Consult with an experienced lawyer to assist you or speak to the pro se clerk in the court.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Contact an attorney to assist you. If you meet the residency requirements, you can file for divorce in NY. Filing for divorce is the easy part, since you can file under irretrievable breakdown. There is no defense to those grounds.


I agree with the other lawyers. You should also ask the matrimonial or court clerk help desk about how to file for a poor person waiver of court fees because the court fees can be expensive.