Skip to main content

I am looking to obtain US Citizenship. I just discovered that my green card expired in August of 2012. Can I still apply ?

Selden, NY |

I have been a greencard holder since April of 99 & this would have been my first renewal. I am 25 years old with no criminal history. Do I need to renew my green card first or can I apply with an expired card ? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, you can apply for naturalization with an expired green card as long as you meet all the requirements.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:


If you are otherwise eligible to apply for Naturalization, you do not need to renew your green card. You can go ahead and apply for Naturalization. However, I always advise people to consult with an attorney prior to doing anything on their own in order to save themselves possible problems down the road. Good Luck.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.


You should be able to apply for naturalization even if your green card is expired.