Skip to main content

I am looking for an attorney to help me fight an invasion of privacy and invasion of hippa laws while I was in the hospital

Colorado Springs, CO |

The doctor was screaming at me from the hallway with several people passing by as he was asking me personal questions for my health history because he didn't want to put a robe and mask on to come into my room, he continued to talk and laugh with nurses about my case in front of some of my friends passing by and so other people in the hall could also hear. When I got out of the hospital he kept calling me to apologize about the invasion of privacy because he got in trouble with the hospital. I was very sick and he made things much more difficult than they needed to be.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am sorry you experienced such a lack of professionalism. HIPAA, however, does not have a private cause of action. You can file a complaint with the hospital, with the federal government, and with your state attorney general. If the state attorney general feels like your case is worth pursuing, they may be able to collect an award for you, but it would likely be as little as $100. States sometimes have privacy laws, but most often you have to suffer some type of financial damage to pursue a claim. Consult a CO health attorney for detailed information.


There is no private cause of action under HIPAA for a violation. Basically, the government reprimands and penalizes them for a violation. So, a lawsuit would be fruitless in getting you money. Definitely report it to the hospital administrators

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin


Submit a written complaint to the hospital administrators and the state attorney general.


Nothing to fight. No attorney required. No apparent economic damages generally means no case.

If you still desire an attorney, try the Avvo ' find a lawyer ' tab to locate attorneys near you.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer