Skip to main content

I am looking for a lawyer with experience in Free Speech and Anti- Slapp motions. I live in the south bay/Torrance CA area.

Wilmington, CA |

I am being sued the second time "sort of" from a business that I gave a truthful negative yelp review on. We first started in small claims where I sued for car damage his business caused and he sued me for defamation in response to my yelp review. Those cases are done. Now he is suing in the businesses name in superior court for the same thing.

I want a lawyer with experience in protecting my constitutional rights that were trampled on and one that will argue he is taking two bites out of the same apple so to speak. I have been chatting with CASP but they are in Northern CA. I prefer someone here that will get the case over with one big fat ANTI-SLAPP.

The avvo thing is COMPLETELY useless btw. I do not want a real estate attorney doing a freedom of speech case. Not all lawyers are well versed in Anti slapp and defamation. Just like not all doctors are well versed in all health conditions. Looks like I am stuck with google.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should demur if it is the same facts and similar parties asserting collateral estoppel. Also most civil attorneys deal with anti-slapp claims on a regular basis.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456



He first sued me as himself, and now is suing me as his business. That is what I meant by (sort of) So not sure if a demur would work.

Panda Lynn Kroll

Panda Lynn Kroll


Demur will not result in an award of fees, anti slapp will. Both is best in many situaty,ions


Call your state bar association or use the avvo 'find a lawyer' option. The avvo question and answer site is a poor substitute for a classifieds ad.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


With respect to your "additional comments" I suggest to you that answers to your initial question on Avvo yielded some valuable information for you to consider and were responsive to your questions. The Q&A forum is not the place to find attorney representation but to answer general questions about the law.

Of course, you can assume that in most cases if an attorney answers your questions that attorney feels competent to represent you regarding the subject matter – but that is not the function of the Q&A forum and this question, soliciting attorneys, is improper. The "Find a Lawyer" function is the place to locate nearby attorneys.

If you do not have insurance that will pay for defense of this lawsuit, your limiting factor in obtaining competent counsel is going to be your ability to pay for your defense. Your initial question implied that you were looking for an attorney to provide defense for you on a contingency basis. If that is your criterion, I doubt you will find the expert legal help you desire. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


This is a re-post of an earlier question.

This answer is not a substitute for legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship.  Seek the advice of a licensed attorney before taking any action that may affect your rights

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer