Skip to main content

I am listed as PG for a corp credit $142,000. The company stopped making payments after credit was maxed in a few months. The o

Nashville, TN |

owner and accounts receivable is not responding to my calls. The monthly min payment exceeds my gross monthly income. What are my options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Let's be clear here - there is no such thing as a "corporate" credit card, unless you are a LARGE corporation (like GM or Target). "Corporate" cards are nothing more than personal credit accounts with a company's name added-in. So, whomever agreed to be liable on that account is 100% liable for the whole amount, not just a "share" of it. You don't state why you guaranteed this account or what your relationship is to the company, but you may need to sue them in the very near future. Regardless, however, if they don't pay, the creditor can come after you for payment. You should also discuss this with a bankruptcy attorney since that is probably your only recourse at this stage.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.


I completely agree with Mr. Corbin.

Bankruptcy is probably your best option, but be sure to consult an experienced attorney because you want to protect all your assets.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.


Your options are somewhat limited and depend on circumstances. If the creditor sues you, you would have a right to sue the corporation, if you are a guarantor rather than a co-maker of the obligation. Whether proceeding against them makes sense depends on whether or not they are collectible. The other option is probably filing a personal bankruptcy, but that would depend on your circumstances. I would suggest speaking to a knowledgeable attorney.

The above answer is in general terms, and is not meant as legal advice. In order to fully answer the question, more information would be needed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer