Skip to main content

I am legal immigrant and waiting for my citizenship to get approve but i want to apply for financial assistance from state.

Urbana, IL |

I am under income person. Can i apply for state help at this point? One of my friend told me if i will get financial help from state it will come on my immigration status and my case will go delay? My case is already delayed because i filed I130 for my husband.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Financial solvency is not required to be eligible for U.S. citizenship, though you must be legally eligible for it. Naturalization requires a showing of good moral character, so do not misrepresent anything in applying for financial assistance. Also, be sure to comply with all tax filing requirements. But to obtain lawful status for your husband, you'll need to demonstrate an ability to support him on Form I-864, or you will need a joint sponsor. You should consider having a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney or agency that is authorized by the Board of Immigration Appeals to provide counsel and services to immigrants.

Scott D. Pollock


As long as you do not have to be a citizen to apply I see no reason not to. Read the documents carefully before signing.


I agree with attorney Pollock, you must file for assistant if you really need it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer