Skip to main content

I am interested in voluntarily giving up rights to my children. What do I need to do?

Covington, GA |

My ex-husband has custody of our children and I am supposed to get visitation. Something always comes up on his end that I can't get them. I also live two hours away and am not able to make frequent trips and he isn't willing to meet me. I maybe see my children once or twice a year. I also have a medical condition and haven't been able to work in the last couple of weeks and he is threatening to throw me in jail for child support. I only work part time and after child support I only bring home between $50 and $100 every two weeks, and also have no vehicle because I can't afford one. I just can't take the care of them that I need to. I think it would be better for all involved to just give up my rights so I can move on with my life.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to file a petition to terminate your parental rights, though whether it is granted will be based on the "best interests" standard, and according to the provisions set forth in the applicable statutes. You may be able to file a Pauper's Affidavit to get the court fees waived. However, I would first attempt to see if a local attorney may be willing to represent you pro bono. Good luck.


Terminating your parental rights is a rather drastic and permanent measure and it is something the courts take very seriously. You should think long and hard about whether you want to do this because if your rights are terminated, it is within the father's discretion to allow you to see the children. While it is true your child support obligation would be alleviated, you will have absolutely no say in any decisions that are made for the children. You must be going through a very tough situation, but I urge you to figure out all the options you can before you consider such a step.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer