Skip to main content

I am in usa foreign worker about 14 years, I'm pay taxes as a resident. But I am moving Canada. Still my business in usa.

Sugar Land, TX |

My question is that after move I will pay taxes as a foregner., that will be problem previous I was paid as a resident.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You are certainly correct in your presumption that your tax situation may change when you are no longer a US resident. The US tax system is based on residency, and US residents are subject to US income tax on their worldwide income. If you become a resident of Canada, which has a territorial income tax system, you will become liable for Canadian income tax on your Canadian income. However, as a US nonresident alien, you may still be liable for US income tax on your US source income. It appears to me you ought to consult with a good tax attorney to ensure that you understand and comply with your tax obligations.

This information is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be relied upon as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney with full disclosure of all facts and opportunity to consider all or alternative options.


You will be required to file a US nonresident 1040. You will have to pay taxes for US source income in the US. Frankly, the US makes it very difficult for international tax issues. The reason for this is that the US has a worldwide tax collection system whereas most countries, including Canada, only collect on the income of its own residents. Please contact a good tax lawyer immediately to discuss this issue.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.


I don't think that this will be a problem: I think it offers potential benefits! See, for example, my article linked below.

You should get some help on your taxes if it gets complex; that won't be hard to do as many Canadian advisors are well-versed in cross-border tax issues.

As long as you handle your tax issues, you'll be fine (assuming you have a proper Canadian work permit). You might want to chat about your business structure and how to minimize your tax liability.

Feel free to get in touch at to discuss further. We offer free initial consultations.

Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through


All the attorneys responded correctly. I would only add that you would need to work with an international firm for your stream of income between USA and Canada. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.