Skip to main content

I am in the hospital can I still be sentenced

Birmingham, AL |

The charge is grand thief auto, I gave birth yesterday and my attorney said that if I am not in court in the morning that the judge will sentence me and that I won't get probation. This is a first offense.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your attorney should be able to ask for a continuance under these circumstances.. This is something that your attorney needs to handle.

No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be provides is greater than the quality of legal services to be provided by other attorneys. Any answers we give are based on what you might expect not any sort of guarantee. By answering a question we are not creating an attorney client relationship. All inquires are confidential


You have a perfectly valid reason by you can not be in court (you should have your doctor document that you are unable to attend court) - Unless you have missed other court dates etc. it would seem from the facts presented that your attorney should be able to explain to the court the reason for a continuance. I am not trying to second guess your attorney merely making a observation & suggestion. I am not licensed in AL & perhaps my lack of knowledge of their laws & court procedures is the reason for my statements. You need to immediately consult with your attorney. Good luck & congratulations on the birth of your baby.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer