Skip to main content

I am in F1 visa in USA with stamping of X university in my visa.Can I join next university?

Manhattan, KS |

I am currently a graduate student in X University. I have stamping of X university in my visa. I want to go to Y University and begin study from starting. If Y university offers I-20 , then will that stamping cause problem. I have 5 years visa. Should I go home country for stamping name of Y university in visa or I am fine with that. what are the problems for me. Answers will be appreciated. I do not want to visit embassy for interview again.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You just need a new I-20 and have the school transfer your SEVIS record to new school. You will not need a new visa to travel as long as the current is valid.



Thank you so much I was so worried. Your answer is highly appreciated

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


Obtain an I-20 from Y University and the Designated School Official can apply for a change of universities on your behalf.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer