Skip to main content

I am filling for AOS.Do I have to send copies of my previous visas that I extend?I came with J-1,than extended for B-1,than F-1?

Babylon, NY |

Of course I attach my I 94 and J-1 from passport copies.I am not sure if I have to attach the ones I extended B-1 for 6 month and F-1.Now I am not in status any more.All I have actually is Notice of Actions of those visas from them.
Your answer will be very helpful for me.Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Generally yes, you should provide copies of all prior visas or statuses, especially if you did an uninterrupted chain of change of status

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.


Yes you should. You also need to demonstrate that you are not subject to the two-year home residence requirement which attached to some J-1 exchange visitors.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Depending on the basis of your adjustment, you may/ may not need all status paperwork.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


Supply all of the paper work. You do not get penalized for submitting additional papers.