Skip to main content

I am enlisting in US army soon and my spouse is an international student .

Cerritos, CA |

Dear Sir/madam
i have a 10 yrs Green card and we getting married after my basic training. how fast will be the process for my spouse from army.
what benefits she will receive
please advice.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You may be able to file for your wife's adjustment of status upon marriage, since the F-2A category is now current (visas are available). You also should be eligible for expedited naturalization based on your service, so you could also petition her as an "immediate relative" for which category visas are always available.


I don't really understand what army/military benefits you are referring to. Regardless, If you get married NOW you can take advantage of the current visa availability for the "spouses of green card holders" (category F2A under the visa bulletin), and she will be able to adjust her status to that of a legal permanent resident (green card). It is expected that this visa availability will be good until the month of September of this year (will retrogress in October--no visa availability).

Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


I agree with both my esteemed colleagues.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer