Skip to main content

I am divorced , how this will affect my status F31 immigration category status ?

Seattle, WA |

Hello , I am a married daughter of an US citizen . I have an 3 family - sponsored immigrant visa approved and I am waiting for a visa to be available . Meanwhile , I have divorced , do I have to report the change to the National Visa Center ? How this will affect my status - the F31 category . Please note that I still want to get an immigrant visa . Thank you .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You will keep your priority date in that situation, and convert the case to an F-1 which is much faster. In fact, depending on your priority date, you might even be able to go forward now.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You should report it as you move up from the F3 to F1 category and your priority date moves up by about 4 years


Not only that, if there is indeed any changes in immigration law and the quotes be extended the F1 category will move faster much sooner.


You should report it as it will speed up your process.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Report it to expedite it.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755