Skip to main content

I am disabled. I was rear ended in an accident & sustained new injuries and aggravated some pre existing. Effect on settlement?

Palmer, AK |

I am on social security disability (SSDI). I have incurred over $26,000 in medical expenses that were/ are being paid by my personal injury insurance. I have reached a "plateau of healing" as my doctor describes it after 6 months of physical therapy. Fault is 100% other party and undisputed. My preexisting injuries in my back were aggravated, but they have returned to normal. However, I have new pain and injuries in my neck upper back that the doc says I will have to deal with for the rest of my life. Ihave been pain almost daily for the past 6 months. I also have a disability rating for my back through the Dept of Veterans Affairs as well. I am unemployed and unable to work.

The other insurance company offered me $3,000 in general damages plus paying my medical bills. Is this a fair?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Do you think it is fair? If you did, would you be posting here to ask us? Consult with an attorney locally to represent you. While having a pre-existing condition does cloud certain damage issues, it also provides for the argument that they have made you even worse. In addition, you have new injuries. An insurance adjuster will amost always lowball you. It amazes me that people will try to represent themselves because they do not want to pay an attorney fee, and then they settle for practically nothing because they just do not know any better. Get an attorney and know that you are protected so you can walk away from your final settlement without regrets.

I will evaluate your case for free. Joyce J. Sweinberg, Esquire 215-752-3732 Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.


The bottom line is that you can't try to settle a claim yourself or you will get some ridiculous offer like the one you received. Retain a personal injury lawyer so you can get maximum compensation. Good luck to you.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


Always consult with an attorney. An insurance companys representative is not your advocate.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer