Skip to main content

I am dating a mexican woman (who currently lives in Mexico.) She is insisting if we get married we do so IN mexico. Problems?

Midland, MI |

I need to know if there is anything specific which could cause problems for me later if she or I decide to end the marriage, have children ...etc. Do I lose any rights/freedoms by getting married in Mexico and bringing her back to the US with me, or is it the same as if I had gotten married here? Any advice would be welcomed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You do not lose anything, but be prepared to wait 9-12 months for her to be able to immigrate to the US assuming that you are a US citizen.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


It doesn't matter what country you get married. The location of marriage does not diminish your rights in a divorce in the U.S. How long ti will take varies from case to case according to its unique circumstances, and cannot be predicted for individual cases with any accuracy. However, 6-12 months would not be unreasonable.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


You can marry her in Mexico and it will not impair any rights you might have down the road if you were to be divorced in Michigan.

This comment is designed for general information only, and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.