Skip to main content

I am custodial parent with sole legal physical custody ncp lives out of state, do I have to keep him updated?

Norfolk, VA |

I am custodial parent with sole legal physical custody, court order does not say anything about me keeping ncp updated I choose to do so, so that they can not prove parent alienation which I have been accused of. I send him emails about everything that is going on with the child, vaccination they get, grades, school accomplishments, dr's appt, when they are sick ect. never get a response back, no phone calls to child in 4 months or emails responding back do I need to keep ncp informed since it is obvious that he doesn't care anyway? Any help is appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I would continue to send e-mails, but perhaps not as frequently. If your child gets grades quarterly, send them an update quarterly, and include the other info you would have provided on a more regular basis. While the NCP is not responding, you need to continue to show you're propensity to actively support the child- NCP's relationship under the Code of Virginia § 20-124.3. Best interests of the child; visitation, Part 6:

"6. The propensity of each parent to actively support the child's contact and relationship with the other parent, including whether a parent has unreasonably denied the other parent access to or visitation with the child"

Good luck!

REMEMBER, my answer to your question is for general informational purposes, as I don't know all the facts and circumstances relating to the specific person(s) and situations involved. You should always consult with an attorney prior to making any legal decision. This response does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. For specific information regarding your case, call my office at 703-499-5843 to schedule a consultation.