Skip to main content

I am Currently on my OPT but i decided to go to school again for MBA and have 5 months student visa left

Houston, TX |

I am Currently on my OPT but i decided to go to school again for MBA and have 5 months student visa left so after getting admission for MBA i have a plan to visit my country before i start my MBA so is it save to travel?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on your definition of "safe." Traveling outside the US, always carries some risk. I have represented individuals who had all the proper visas and the proper purpose for entering the US, yet were denied entry.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


It's impossible for someone to answer this question. Technically, to return to the US, you'll need a current I-20 with a travel designation from your current school, your current OPT card and a valid F-1 visa stamp in your passport (even if it's for a different school or program). But the officer at the airport may or may not admit you to the US based on a long list of factors, including prior immigration violations, criminal issues, etc. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine if you have a likelihood of experiencing any issues when you travel.


Why not? I hope you home country is safe. Will you be allowed to return on your visa? If it is still valid when you return and you are enrolled in the MBA, I think you should be fine.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.