Skip to main content

I am currently in foreclosure. I was served the paperwork yesterday. I can not fit my story in the space allocated to me here.

Ogdensburg, NY |

I believe that I was treated unfairly by the bank. I don't know if I have any recourse to stop the foreclosure. I can make the payment I had agreed to, it is the added money they tacked on after I signed that I can not make. I have been trying to deal with WAMU on my own and they said my case is in negotiations as of now. If they deny me, and I was already served foreclosure papaerwork, then I will not have time to do anything. I need some legal advise on what to do but need to be able to tell the whole story.

+ Read More

Filed under: Foreclosure
Attorney answers 2


You are right to seek immediate review of your situation by a skilled lawyer. You might try getting a modification lawyer - one that works all the time in dealing with negotiations on such matters.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

You need a lawyer licensed in NY. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. I am in Chicago, IL.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in CA in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


The two most important things you can do to protect your interests are: a) consult a competent foreclosure attorney as soon as possible; and b) do NOT default in filing and serving an answer to the foreclosure complaint within the time specified in the Summons.

If you cannot afford an attorney, check with the nearest Legal Aide office or county bar association to see if they can assist you. You can also call the Homeowner's HOPE? Hotline at 888-995-HOPE?, or the New York State Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service at 1 (800) 342-3661. Finally, if you have internet access I recommend that you visit this address, to view a video about saving your home from foreclosure:

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: The foregoing is not intended to constitute legal advice, or to create an attorney-client relationship between us (See paragraph 8 of Avvo Terms and Conditions of Use). It is offered, instead, as general legal information relevant to the issue(s) raised in your question. Legal information is not the same as legal advice (i.e., the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). If you desire to obtain legal advice, you should retain the services of an attorney to represent you. If you choose to act upon the information provided above without first retaining an attorney, you do so at your own risk.