I am currently holding E19 green card for over 2 yrs, and my husband is divorcing me, will my green card get impacted?

North Bergen, NJ |

i am also wondering after the divorce, what will be my green card's category? do i need to renew it right after divorce? my card has 10 yr valid period..

No, rest assured that your green card will not get affected in any way, shape or form by your divorce. Period.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Not to worry. A divorce will not affect your green card status.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree with the answers of my distinguished colleagues. Your divorce will not affection your immigration status. Good luck and do not worry.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.