Skip to main content

I am co-owner of a home that is currently in forecloser not married.

Exton, PA |

The man i shared the home with will not let me retrive the things that belong to me what can i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


My first step would be to call the police. They might at least speak with him. If they can't or won't help, you can file an action in the Court of Common Pleas. You should have an attorney help you with this.

Please remember to mark this answer as “Helpful” or “Best Answer” if appropriate. Thank you.


Marshall Chriswell

Law Offices of Marshall D. Chriswell
714 Philadelphia St., Suite 200
Indiana, PA 15701
(888) 438-5977
(724) 465-5826


Marshall D. Chriswell is a civil practitioner with offices in Indiana and Clearfield Counties. Mr. Chriswell's practice emphasizes Wills & Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate, Family Law, and general civil disputes.


Mr. Chriswell provides free initial consultations, and will gladly meet clients in their homes upon request, including on the evenings or weekends.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, feel free to contact our offices.


A simple answer: if you co-own the house, you have a right to enter it to retrieve your things. Now for the problem, the man (whoever he is to you) will not let you enter for some reason - I can imagine many. The foreclosure is a whole other matter. You do not identify which municipality you are in (Exton is just an address), but I suggest you call your local police department (let's say West Whiteland) and tell them you are going to enter the property to get your things. While they probably will not go with you, they need to be alerted in case there is a fight over your right to enter (whose things are whose is another matter). You most likely need to contact a local Real Estate and Foreclosure Attorney to look at all of the documents and give you a more focused answer based on all the facts.


Yep, I agree with the others. Call the cops and see if they'll help. Tell them you want to go to the home to get your things and that he won't let you. If that doesn't work, depending on the value of the stuff in there, you might want to call a local attorney and get a consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer