I am breaking up with boyfriend.My daughter lives with us. He'll sue me for money because he paid half of the cost. Will he win?

Brooklyn, NY |

I am breaking up with boyfriend.My daughter lives with us for 7 years. She's now 16. My boyfriend said he'll sue me for money because he paid half of the cost. Will he win?

Half the cost of what?

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

I am breaking up with boyfriend.My 13 year old daughter lives with us.He siad he'll sue me for $ because he paid half of the living cost. My daughter and I used to live in a small one bedroom apt. We have to move to a 4 bedroom house because he has lots of stuff. We both agree to pay half of the living cost. But now he said he should have only paid 1/3 and he will sue me for the extra $ he paid. Will he win?

I don't know what he paid half of. if he paid expenses for your daughter, he did it voluntarily. Unless he has proof that the money was intended as a loan, he has no right to repayment. If the child is also his daughter, he has an obligation to support her.

If he is talking about household expenses, the same rule applies. He needs proof that the money was a loan and that there was an agreement that you would repay him.

This anawer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may be considered attorney advertising. This answer should not supplant advice received from any attorney the questioner may have or obtain, as that attorney will be able to provide more thorough and informed advice.