Skip to main content

I am being sued for an auto accident in 2011 i was never charged. by the officer and the petitioner involve was not charged.

Newark, DE |

we is suing for injuries, stress, money for medical, court, lawyer and personal.we were both never charged for the accident my insurance company investigated and i was not at fault she is now suing for personal auto injury do i need a lawyer

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Based on the limited facts outlined above, it sounds like you should report this to your insurance company ASAP. You may also want to seek a personal injury attorney in your area who offers free 30 minute consultations in order to hash this out further. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


My recommendation to you is that you do two things: (1) You immediately forward any information that you received about this lawsuit to your insurance company and (2) you meet with a local attorney who could potentially represent you in the case. Now I do I say this? First of all, there should be no need for you to hire your own attorney because the insurance company will provide one to you unless there is a problem with your coverage. However, if your policy limits do not cover the potential claim then you may personally be responsible for any jury award above the policy limits. In that case, you definitely want to have your own personal attorney protect your interests and watch over with the insurance company is doing. You need to essentially reopen the claim with your insurance company and advise them that you were being sued. You then want to follow up with them to make sure that they are appointed attorney for you. I going to interview some attorneys to determine whether or not they could help you give me a better position if the insurance company advises you that your policy limit may not cover the plaintiff's claim.

Note, that the fact you were never charged with the violation is not important in this civil lawsuit. You are most likely not being sued for violation of a motor vehicle statute but rather for negligent operation of your vehicle.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 Additional Offices in New York, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.


Report this claim to your insurance company. They should defend you in this matter.


Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve.


Turn this matter over to your automobile liability insurance carrier you had at the time of the incident.They have a duty to investigate the matter, defend you and indemnify you if necessary. That is why you pay them a premium.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.