Skip to main content

I am being investigated for food stamps fraud, I received stamps for my four children.

Bronx, NY |

I have an interview next week. I would usually bring in a letter stating I was separated but he provided some financial help, i have my own apartment/lease and all utilities under my name. They are asking for information on both of our bank accounts, jobs and taxes for the las 3 years. How much do they already know? Do they know we live together or only that we have bank accounts and that he has a job and is able to help? Should I go to the interview? Should he come with me? What am i looking at here? Paying back? Jail time? Should I admit to everything or way to see how it goes?

+ Read More

Filed under: Fraud
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I've handled these before. They know enough to have opened an investigation. You should not speak with them without a lawyer. I have been able to negotiate reimbursements without arrests.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



Have you been able to reach these negociations at the interview meeting or does it has to go further?

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein


I advise my clients not to go to the meeting. I take care of everything.


You need to speak with an attorney at this point since there is criminal liability.


Take a lawyer with you and follow advice.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer