Skip to main content

I am an illegal immigrant and I want to go to college. The visa that i had was F1.

Herndon, VA |

Do you know if will be imposible to have the chance to get a degree from a college ? I took ESL classes in a community college in virginia 7 years ago, I have a social security number and a driver license from maryland. I studied business managment for four years in my country before i decide to came here. Will be hard to get a student visa? o change my status? . Please , i really want to put myself to another direction and i think attend and get a degree from this country will be a dream come true for me.
thanks for you time

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should definitely consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your immigration situation!

If your current status in the United States is unlawful, then you most likely will not be able to obtain a student visa at this time, especially while you remain in the United States.

There are some colleges that might accept you as a student, despite your lack of lawful status. You would have to contact the individual colleges to ask.

You might or might not be eligible for certain other immigration benefits. But you would need to discuss your entire situation with an experienced attorney to figure out if you qualify for anything.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


I agree with my colleague.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If you are here illegally, you will not be able to qualify for student status. However, I have two questions for you: 1) if you are now in theh US did you enter with a visa; 2) how old are you? I ask the second questions because based on some of your biographical information you may qualify for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. If you do, it would at least get you a work permit. Anyhow, you should talk to a good immigration attorney. Anattorney can get all the facts and help you determine what are your options.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is for informational purposes only. Before acting on this information you should discuss your problem with an immigration attorney.