Skip to main content

I am an illegal alien married to a US citizen. I want to legalize my status but need to know how to go about it?

Sacramento, CA |

I am 20 years old and my wife is 19. We have a 1 year old son. I got in trouble as a juvenile and was on probation, everything happened before I turned 18. I came here legally with a tourist visa which expired in 2008. I have worked here with false documents at McDonald's in the past. I have completed most of my studies here I graduated from high school.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your wife petitions you, you file for adjustment of status.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You could adjust your status in the US. Consult with immigration attorney and get representation.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016


You can have your wife file a one step family petition/adjustment of status package for you, however, due to your prior criminal history, you should be working with an attorney on this matter.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.