Skip to main content

I am an executor of a will. When do I disburse funds to beneficiaries. The house is not sold and there is a loan and utilities

Moorestown, NJ |

How do I do the disbursement? How do I do the child support search? What type of document do I need from the beneficiary to do the child support search and do I deduct the charge from their inheritance? Can I just mail the refunding bond and release form to the beneficiary? Do I need to explain why and how to about this form and the chilrd support order to the beneficiary? As far as submitting and posting an announcement about the death of the deceased so creditors are aware of the death...Do I just submit this to a local paper and also mail a copy to all creditors?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

All of these questions (and many you've failed to ask) are precisely why any Executor is well advised to retain counsel to help guide them through an estate administration. The fees you incur are estate expenses and come out of the estate but if you mess something up as Executor the liability can run to you personally. I'll never understand why any Executor (other than an Executor who is the sole beneficiary) would even consider trying to handle an administration without competent legal counsel.

Normally I would not submit a non-answer like this but your questions are so numerous and so far reaching that the answers are best covered by books not 4000 character internet posts.

Do yourself a favor and at least have an initial consult with a knowledgeable probate attorney to get some idea as to the breadth of your responsibilities and the proper way they can be discharged.

Very truly yours,

Ed Smeltzer

P.S. — If you found this answer helpful, please click the “Mark as good answer” button below.
Law Office of Edward J. Smeltzer II
180B Tices Lane, Suite 103
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Phone: 732-246-3131 Fax: 866-824-4779

This answer was prepared for educational purposes only. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.


I would have given a very similar answer to my colleague above. Since his is an NJ attorney and I am not, I will not add to his comments as I agree with them.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice


I agree with above - the breadth of your questions lives little doubt that you should retain a qualified attorney to advise you.