Skip to main content

I am an Egyptian citizen with Canadian Permanent residency. My wife is a dual US-Canadian citizen. Can I visit her regularly?

New York, NY |

I found a high-paying job in Canada ($150-200K a year) while my wife is completing graduate training in the US. We intend to visit each other twice a month, so I'd be traveling to the US for 2-3 days every 4 weeks or so on a tourist visa. Will that raise any red flags?

Background: I lived in the US for 10 years legally (where we met), but we both decided that she'd join me in Canada and we'd build a life there. I have no desire to immigrate to the US - could have filed an I-130/I-485 otherwise!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will 'probably' be OK.

Make sure you carry proof of your 'ties' to Canada (recent paystubs, etc.)

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleague. As long as you are able to convince the Officer this is a temporary visit, you will be OK.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 to schedule a consultation.


I agree with my colleagues, although I have to say that CBP can be pretty unpredictable sometimes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer