Skip to main content

I am an alien. I have an american child living with his US citizen mom in the US. How can I live and work legally in the US?

Fort Worth, TX |

I live overseas and I have a 3 year old son who lives in the US with his US mother. I have been visiting my son on a tourist visa many times and I would like to permanently move to the US legally to live and work close to my child so I can provide for him. His mother and I are not together any longer, so she cannot petition for me. Can my minor child petition for me? Is there any other legal way for me to immigrate to the USA? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your son cannot petition for you until he is 21. Depending on your profession and education you could consider an employment based visa.


In reply to your question as to whether your minor child can petition for you, unfortunately the answer is no. In order for a child to apply for a parent to obtain lawful permanent resident status the child must be at least 21 years old.

There are numerous ways to legally immigrate to the United States and the means available to you would require more information as to the specifics of your case. I recommend speaking with an attorney about the specifics of your case to determine and discuss the options available to you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer