Skip to main content

I am Aisha , Pakistan born US citizen , 19 years old , student . Want to get married to my cousin back at Pakistan .

New York, NY |

His family will not allow it so we have to do a court marriage. how it will affect my CR-1 visa application?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Why do you have a CR-1 visa application if you are a U.S. citizen? Do you mean your prospective husband's anticipated CR-1 visa application? If so, the marriage needs to be bona fide, regardless of whether it is a religious ceremony or a civil ceremony. Many US citizens petition for spouses who were married in a courthouse. As I said, the test is whether the marriage is genuine and not a sham marriage being entered into simply for the purpose of conferring an immigratoin benefit on your soon-to-be-husband. Hope that helps. You really owe it to yourself to use an immigration lawyer for such an important application.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


To petition for a spouse, the marriage has to be legally valid. If you get married in the court, that is typically a legal marriage valid for immigration purposes. As my colleague mentioned, you will also have to provide proof that you have a bona fide marriage -- that is, that you aren't getting married just to get an immigration benefit.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


As long as the marriage is legal under Pakistan law and you are the only wife, it will not.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer