Skip to main content

I am about to turn myself in on a warrant I received yesterday. The charge is embezzlement and I have no lawyer. What do I do?

Fredericksburg, VA |

I worked for a company for three weeks and they never paid me. There was 40 dollars outstanding that I owed to them. It was agreed that they would deduct it from my pay. Now they refuse to pay me and have charged me with stealing this money. I have no legal representation and have never been arrested. I am about to turn myself in with no representation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


DON'T DO ANYTHING until you at least try to contact a criminal defense attorney in your area. Use the avvo 'find a lawyer' tab to locate and call one, or call the Virginia State Bar and request a referral. (800) 552-7977

If you are not able to speak with one today, do not discuss the charge or make any statements to police (whether or not they have read you your rights) during the process. Contact an attorney as soon thereafter as possible.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


I have to agree, you need to speak with an attorney. You should be able to locate an attorney in your area who offers free consultations. Also, depending on what your prior criminal history involves you may want to have the number of a bail bondsman handy when you turn yourself in.