Skip to main content

I am a victim of domestic voilence i have pressed charges and was granted a protective order what will his punishment be?

Lufkin, TX |
Attorney answers 3


As an aside, your final opinion is a faulty gender based bias.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


There is no way to guess. It should be a felony offense with him looking at 2 to 10 years in prison.

The system can only do what it can do. If you knew he was an abuser (because he is on probation) and you started a relationship with him or continued one with him, the system has only so much it can do to protect you. Do you suggest that they force you to not have a relationship with him so you cannot complain as you are doing?

The prosecutor should be contacting you about your input on punishment.

BTW, women abuse men, too, and society has made it such that men are embarassed to admit that a woman has been abusing them. I have seen this more than once in my 25 years of practice.

Cynthia Henley


There is no justification for abusing someone. However I have seen a reverse gender bias where women receive less punishment for assaulting men. Contact the district attorney's office about your concerns. They should have a victim witness coordinator to advise you.

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,