Skip to main content


Ashburn, VA |
Attorney answers 5


Yes, you can get him a green card despite his status, unless there are other reasons making him inadmissible. There are 7 different forms that should be carefully prepared and filed together with supporting documentation. I recommend you hire a lawyer. Many of us offer free initial consultation for marriage-based cases.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
Attorney & Counselor at Law
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (703) 527-1779
Fax: (703) 778-0369

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.


Thre are several forms ot complete and a number of documents required as supporting evidencing including an affidavit of support, petition for alien relative adjustment of status, wortk authorization etc. Consult na attorney.


I agree with my colleague Mrs. Pollack. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


The forms you would file are readily available on the USCIS website. You should be aware, though, that filing for your husband is not a simple matter of filling and filing forms. While he is eligible to FILE for adjustment of status - even though he is a visa overstay - there could be other grounds of inadmissibility that render him ineligible to actually adjust his status. A consultation with an attorney will allow you to determine if such is the case with your husband.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


You should explore whether "adjustment of status" is an option for your husband. Adjustment of status is a process that allows a person to complete the entire green card application process while in the United States. In many cases it is still possible to qualify for adjustment of status even if the applicant is out of status as long as he originally entered the United States lawfully. That being said, it will be important to review your husband's situation in more detail to confirm that he qualifies for adjustment of status before submitting any documents to the government. If he applies for adjustment of status but does not qualify, he could be placed in deportation proceedings.

The adjustment of status process involves submitting an I-130 petition (your request for your husband to be allowed to immigrate) along with an I-485 application for permanent resident status (your husband's request for a green card). Along with these applications, you would also be able to request a work authorization card so that your husband would be able to work lawfully while he waits for his green card.

Again, before you submit any forms to the government you need to make sure that your husband meets all of the requirements for adjustment of status.

My office is in Reston at the Reston Town Center. You can learn more about my firm and the adjustment of status process by checking out the link below.

(703) 424-2979. Virginia Immigration Lawyer - Helping Future Americans Become Citizens

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer