Skip to main content

I am a us citizen and I want to know how I can sponsor my brother who is an illegal immigrant to get a green card?

Jersey City, NJ |

My brother was admitted on a tourist visa and now overstayed authorized date and now I want to do something to get him a green card

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You could file an immigrant petition on his behalf (I-130); however, he will have to wait many years before he could actually get his green card and immigration benefits. I suggest that you meet with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss all the different options.

Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


I agree with Mr. Guerra.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my esteemed colleagues.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You can sponsor him, but he will have to wait many years (approximately 9) until a visa is available to him. He will remain out of status and in jeopardy of removal until then. Speak with an immigration lawyer.


Your brother is not considered your"immediate relative" . Therefore, after waiting many years for the visa to become current, under today's laws he will have to go back to his country for consular interview. Then he will face a 10 year bar, absent a waiver. This is not very promising at the moment.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer