Skip to main content

I am a US citizen, married to a Namibian. We want to live in Namibia, what do I tell customs when I arrive there?

Boring, OR |

I married my husband in the USA in Jan . 2012 . Shortly thereafter , we moved to Namibia , just to visit . However , things went so perfectly , we decided to stay . According to their laws , all I need to stay in Namibia is a marriage license that is valid , we have that . I have heard that , due to a lack of education , MANY government workers have no idea about this law , and it has caused a lot of grief for couples . When I left to visit my family in the states 2 weeks ago , the Namibian customs worker gave me hell for staying in Namibia past the date on my passport stamp . She said that it says I was there on Holiday , so why am I now living there . She let me go anyway . My question is , we are headed back there in a week , what do I say when I arrive and hand them my passport ? I worry they won't let me in .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This website is only for U.S. Immigration Law. I would contact the Namibia embassy and ask them.

Good Luck

Andre Olivie, Esq.

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Attorneys on Avvo practice US law. They cannot advise you on the laws and requirements of other countries.

You need to contact an attorney in the country in question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You need to check with the Namibia consulate about this.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog: