Skip to main content

I am a US Citizen, and want to bring my mother to US. Shall I need to provide financial support docs? Or only Form I-130?

Jessup, MD |

I want to get green card for my mother, (my father is no more). I am an average worker here and earn apprx $50K for us (family of 4). I can happily feed my mother here, but can not show big dollars on paper as financial support. especially in the present economy.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Well, you do not have to show big money. You just have to meet the poverty guidelines depending on how many dependents you have. If your mother is not in the US right now, you do not need to even file the affidavit of support at this point. If the process is not clear, you might want to use a lawyer not to complicate it for you. Also if you do not meet the poverty guidelines, you can also have a joint sponsor.

Good Luck
Shah Peerally
Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC

The Law Firm Deals in Immigration law, Bankruptcy & Debt Relief

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer or a fee agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.


With your income you should have no problem showing that you can provide for your mother. The initial step is filing the I-130 here in the US. After that is approved then your mother will be able to obtain her green card at the consulate in her home country. It is important that you maintain your employment and file taxes every year. It would be wise to consult an attorney.

Alexus Sham, Esq.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer