Skip to main content

I am a U.S citizen and am about to go on probation but my parents are illegal can something happen to them?

Escondido, CA |

I am 15 and got in trouble for tagging. Right now my parents are reading some paperwork saying they need to present their social security and other things but they do not have one since they are illegal but they do pay taxes. What happens when we go to my appointment to start probation and they do not show this? can they be deported? thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Given that you are a juvenile you will have appointed counsel. These are questions that you should be directing to your attorney.

Tai Christopher Bogan

Tai Christopher Bogan


However, probation may be looking into the case pre-complaint/petition filing. In other words, he might not be going to court and if not he wouldn't have appointed counsel.


I agree with the most part with Ms. Cini. If you have been to court then you have an attorney - you should ask that attorney. If the probation is handling the case "informally" and putting on a type of probation were you don't go to court then the probation department is going to have you pay money for the damages you caused.

I don't know what to tell you about your parents illegal status. It shouldn't be a problem, but nobody can say for sure. I wouldn't advise anyone to admit they are here illegally. Not everyone has a social security number even when born here. People are supposed to have them but not everyone does. If your parents are not paying taxes they should. They could get taxpayer ID's for the purpose of paying taxes.

Again, stop committing crimes. It puts your whole family in jeopardy.

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.


NO Attorney on this site can ethically answer this question given that you are a Juvenile and most certainly have appointed counsel. Ask your attorney and do not post any additional questions as it will put unwary attorney's at risk, answering your questions when there is an inherent conflict.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-231-0401 or visit my website at


You will need to ask your appointed counsel assuming there has been a court date. Either way, it's probably best if your parents are the one who seeks the counsel for themselves.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer