Skip to main content

I am a U.S. citizen who married in Mexico, and I need to get a divorce. How do I do that?

Pickens, SC |

I reside in SC, and my husband resides in Mexico. I was in the process of bringing him to the U.S., but now I need to get a divorce instead. I need to know how to do this, and how much it will cost.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Talk to a family lawyer who can help you file a divorce. Once divorce you can write to immigration, if you want to withdraw your petition.

Good Luck
Shah Peerally
Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
Law Firm Deals in Immigration law, Bankruptcy & Debt Relief

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain
to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.


I am licensed to practice law in Mexico (and NY). Your answer is state-specific. Where in Mexico did you get married? Also, what is your husband's position regarding the divorce?

If he is willing to co-file for an uncontested divorce, generally it can be handled in a relatively easy, fast and inexpensive way in Mexico. Beware that non-Mexican citizens need to obtain a special permit from the Mexican federal government for getting the divorce (same rule than for marrying a Mexican).

If he is not willing to cooperate, securing a divorce in Mexico can be very complicated (most jurisdictions do not have no-fault divorces).

I hope this helps.

[Disclaimer: in accordance with’s Terms and Conditions of Use, no Attorney-Client Relationship arises between you and me unless we have a written contract. This and all of my answers are intended for “general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues.” Terms and Conditions of Use, section 9].