Skip to main content

I am a tenant. i got hurt on my landlords property? how do i collect, if ins. co. denied my claim?

Lafayette, NJ |

I tripped on stairs and got hurt. Stairs are shiny and slippery. I am in so much pain, but can't get medicaid to get pain management to give me stronger pain killers! I am on asistence, so I don't have money to pay a lawyer. Landlord owns properties, can i sue him directly? i am on section 8 and he is rich. HELP

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Lawyers who handle slip and fall cases will take them on a contingency fee basis, thus, you pay the lawyer nothing unless the lawyer gets money for you.

Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


If your claim was denied, your only option would be to file a lawsuit against the owner of the property and property management company. You will need to prove that the owner/manager were negligent in maintaining the stairs, or they were defective and not safe.

A personal injury attorney can take your case on a contingency fee which means you only pay the attorney's fees if he or she is successful in recovering money for you. So it's worth calling a few local attorneys to see if one will take your case.


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer