Skip to main content

I am a single mother. How do I get a court issued paternity test?

Marietta, GA |

A young man and I decided to get an abortion when we found out I was pregnant. I was in my 5th month of pregnancy by the time he got his part of the money but by then I couldnt go through with the abortion. When I was able to tell him, he proceded to call me names and deny being the father. He then changed his number and moved. I just found his full name and current phone number online from a site called Facebook. I sent him a message with my phone number so that we could arrange a meeting for a paternity test but he has yet to respond and it has been at least two months now since i sent the messageAnd he has yet to respond. My son is almost two years old now and I want a paternity test to prove whether he is or is not the father but I know he won't do it willingly. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should hire a family law attorney immediately. I advise that you possibly contact the Stearns-Montgomery & Proctor law firm, ph # (678) 905-8492, there in Marietta. Good luck.


Since he is a jerk, don't keep waiting for him to act.

Either file a child support case with the state, and if he denies paternity they will get him tested, or retain a lawyer and sue him for support (and again the court can order testing).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer