Skip to main content

I am a sex offender who has to register for the rest of my life so doesn't this mean the United States has declared they own me

Grand Junction, CO |

the united states is declaring me as a slave is that not right? what else would you call it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I am not really sure that this is a legal question. It is more of a moral and ethical question. The issue of lifetime registration has been litigated at both the CO Supreme Court level and the US Supreme Court level and has been upheld as constitutional. So, unless there is a change in legislation you are stuck with a lifetime requirement of registering. It has been deemed to be for the safety of the general public and that it takes precedence over your civil rights. Oftentimes we disagree with the laws. However, we have to work within the confines of them. This is an issue to take up with your state and national members of Congress.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.



Is the government putting you to forced labor? Hardly.

Are you denied ownership of property? No.

You may even have retained the right to vote and hold office.

You either have no concept of slavery or hope we don't.

As to what it would properly be called - punishment. In a manner designed to warn the general public so it may take necessary steps to protect itself from documented predators.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Its a burden, a consequence of your conviction.
It's a long way from slavery.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Legally and gramatically there is a huge difference between registration and slavery.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.



Interesting post that has been viewed by many attorneys. I agree with Mr. Leroi. I would also ask, how much sympathy do you believe you are going to get with this sort of post? If you want your situation changed, seek legislative changes by sitting down with your local house representative -- if they'll schedule a meeting.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.



I would love to sit down with you too. I am a mother of three child sexual abuse survivors. I can tell you how the molestation they suffered under, will be with them for the rest of their lives. If you did what you what you got convicted for, you should at least carry your punishment as a man. A sexual abuser is a coward, so man up, start to think about what you did to your victim and don't complain. You did choose to sexual abuse somebody and now you have to suffer the price for you actions. Don't complain, make whatever you can do to prevent somebody else to go down the same road instead.