Skip to main content

I am a permanent resident alien and my ex wife and son are here illegally. can she sue me for child support in the state of texa

Shreveport, LA |

i have sent her sporadic payments when i can, but she has never let me see my son

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I hope she can but I do not know as this is not an immigration question. As a general matter, child support should have nothing to do with her or child's immigration status. If anything, it is a shame you are on LPR status and your child is undocumented.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


If that is where she resides and obtained the divorce, then yes.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes, she certainly can seek to obtain your financial support for the child through the courts wherever she and the child reside (or the child's home state if different) if you don't provide support voluntarily.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer