Skip to main content

I am a past Governor for the local Moose lodge.

Stockton, CA |

The current Governor and Treasure were removed for 30 days by Moose International-who asked me to oversee this. Suspended officers are now telling members that I have stole food, money, supplies, just to make me the bad guy. Every thing they have accused me for has been proven to be false and they still tarnish my name at public meetings. I have receipts for anything I have ever purchased from the place or for the palce. I am a licensed professional and I am afraid this will tarnish me and my restrict my income which is based upon the commmunity belief that I am a theif.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


International removed them not you. If your organization has a way to remove members as well as officers I would recommend pursuing it. You are also entitled to your reputation, and these sound very much like defamation. If you can demonstrate financial harm from their lies, you can sue for defamation. Discuss your options with a CA personal injury lawyer.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.


You can institute disciplinary proceedings against them under The General Laws of the Moose International and the Supreme Lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose. If they are found guilty that should clear you of the false allegations and their fallout.


Your options include seeking redress through the processes available through the order or filing a civil action for defamation. Before filing a civil action, you should consult with an attorney about the possible privileges which may apply to communications within the body of the lodge about the good of the order. (See e.g. Civil Code § 47, subdiv. (c).) You face the risk the individuals who accused you may file a special motion to strike your complaint and impose attorney fees against you if you file an action for defamation where the communications you complain of were privileged. (See Code Civ. Proc. § 425.16.)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer