Skip to main content

I am a non-immigrant alien, J-1 visa expired five years ago..I am married, will have to obtain sponsor for tax requirements

Chicago, IL |
Attorney answers 5


If you are married to a US citizen, you can seek to adjust your status and if your spouse's income is not enough to sponsor you, you certainly can get a joint-sponsor whose income alone must meet the poverty guidelines.

Also, because you had a J-1 visa, you need to make sure you are not subject to the 2-year foreign residency requirements.


Many more questions would need to be asked of you in order to give a useful answer. Speak to an immigration attorney by phone or in-office.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Consult with an immigration attorney to obtain useful answers to your questions.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


I agree with my colleagues, you should consult with an attorney before filing anything.

But if you married a US Citizen, and his income is insufficient, you will have to find a co-sponsor. Also, with a J-1 Visa it is important to know if you are subject to the 2 year residency requirement or not.

You can contact myself or one of my colleagues to properly prepare and file your case.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC,, 888-645-6272, , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Options for what? Paying taxes? What are you trying to do?

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer