Skip to main content

I am a green card holder will my citizenship process be denied if I apply for food stamps?

Orlando, FL |

My family falls under 133% FPL and we live from check to check. We are a family of 4 in total and all are 18 and older and we are all green card holders.. can our citizenship be denied? Someone told us it would but I want to be sure :/

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You will not be denied cititenship merely because you receive food stamps. The issue of public charge relates to applications for permanent resident status or certain non immigrant or temporary benefits, such as change of status, TPS e.t.c. It has no relevance to application for naturalization. Additionally. you do not seem to fit the definition of a public charge, which requires either the receipt by you of public cash assistance for income maintainance or institutionalization for long- term care at government expense.


if you receive benefits you are not eligible for, you can be denied citizenship. Whether or not you are eligible, is not something I personally know

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


That depends if you are eligible.


Certain public benefits you are not eligible for, and if you apply, then there is a possibility that the government will seek reimbursement from the individual who sponsored you for the green card, since they signed an affidavit of support, which is a contract with the government.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


Hello. Given that you are experiencing financial difficulties, I encourage you to contact a local pro bono establishment for legal advice and representation before filing your citizenship application. Some of these pro bono establishments have an immigration attorney on staff. He/she will be able to determine your eligibility for U.S. citizenship.

Good luck.

(888) 980-2743
(888) 980-ARIE

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.