Skip to main content

I am a full time student , how can I obtain and what legal representation can I get to deal with a housing dispute?

Berrien Springs, MI |

My personal effects were removed from my apartment without my first hand knowledge, when I was notified by my ( then) roommate, the books were returned but some of the book are missing. There are still book missing. She has not returned them, neither has she made any arrangments to return my books. She is refusing to meet to settle the outstanding bills and there is money owed to each other. She is pursuing legal intervention to obtain the deposit which on the apartment that I still occupy and general she is being difficult.

+ Read More

Filed under: Landlord-tenant Fees
Attorney answers 1


Your roommates as exposed herself legally. She MAY owe you for damages, conversion, maybe attorney fees too. Depends on lots of facts not in your post. Call your state bar association's lawyer referral service (Google it) and request a referral to a landlord tenant attorney in your area, actually several, work out a payment plan and your downstream options.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer