Skip to main content

I am a first time home buyer and I just purchased a loft. Do I need a lawyer to go over all the documents/hoa documents with me?

Los Angeles, CA |

The loft is located in the downtown Los Angeles area

Just to clarify: The seller just accepted our offer so we'll be going into escrow and just starting the inspection. I want to make sure we understand everything the hoa covers and not covers and any fine print we might be missing with that.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you have already purchased it -- isn't it a little late to get advice regarding the transaction? OTOH, if you do not understand your rights and responsibilities with respect to a contemplated purchase it is always wise to consult a lawyer so that you make beneficial decisions with respect to the purchase.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


On the other side of the Mississippi, most real estate transactions are handled by attorneys. In California, they are done by real estate agents.
Buying property is a major transaction. Having an attorney review documents is not required, but is a good idea.


Mr. Daymude is correct---the best time to consult an attorney would have been prior to completing the transaction. There's little an attorney can do for you after the fact, other than to go over the terms with you and give you a better understanding of what it is you just signed.

Best of luck.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, and should not be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author, and Pham Law Group does not represent you as your attorneys until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both parties.


I agree with Mr. Daymude, and only add this: CC&Rs and other HOA documents can be complicated, and it will not hurt to consult a licensed real estate attorney if you have specific questions, a specific problem with your HOA, or just so someone can alert you to any unusual provisions, or terms that might affect your ownership. It always pays to be educated ahead of time.

Answers/responses offered only with regard to California law. All content, answers and information conveyed by Justine M. Sliwka, either at or is for educational purposes only, is not intended as and should not be relied on as legal advice. Any answer or information conveyed to or by Justine M. Sliwka either at or does not create an attorney-client relationship unless and until an attorney-client fee agreement has been entered into and signed by both parties.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer